HPC is a very good resource of our Institute. You can use it for parallel computing using both CPU (32 cores) and GPU (2 Graphics Card Nvidea Tesla). For more detail go here. The computation time of your simulations will reduce drastically if you run your instructions parallely. Doing multiple jobs parallely. MATLAB is a good example of utilizing this parallel computation framework. So without wasting more time in introducing what is HPC, now we directly go how to use this facilty.
1. You have to go to computer center (CC) "Server Room" and ask for the HPC application form.
2. Fill it up and take the signature of your HOD.
3. Apply both for CPU and GPU. Option will be there on the form.
4. Get a xerox copy of your NIT I-card.
5. Write an application to the "Head of CC" to allow your "IP Address" to use HPC facilty.
6. Then submit both form and application in CC.
7. You will get the username and password to use HPC in your institute Webmail.
(THE PROCEDURE FROM 1-7 MAY CHANGE, AS IT IS OFFICIAL PROCEDURE)
8. Now you have to connect to the server starting CPU/GPU Computing. (Make sure your IP address is allowed by them, otherwise you can't connect)
9. Install Xming and Winscp. Keep the desktop icon for both.
10. Double click on putty (No need to install).
11. FOR CPU COMPUTING
Enter IP: 192.168.8.100 in Putty under Host Name
12. FOR GPU COMPUTING
Enter IP: 192.168.8.142 in Putty under Host Name
13. Then click on data under Connection and Enter your username that you got from CC in mail. You don't need to enter your user id every time you login to remote HPC system.
14. Now click on SSH, and under that X11, click "Enable X11 Forwarding".
15. Now go back to Session, Enter a name like "HPC CPU" and click on save to save the profile.
16. Repeat the same steps from 13-15 for "HPC GPU".
End Configuring Putty.
17. Click on Xming Desktop icon and make sure it is running in tray of your system.
18. Now if you want to use the CPU Computing, open putty and "Enable X11 Forwarding" (do it every time you want to connect) and click on "HPC CPU" and click on "open". (Make sure Xming is running in the tray.)
19. It will only ask for password, as we have already given our username in putty. Now Enter the password (Password is invisible). You are now connected to server.
20. After connecting to the server First work is to change the password and give your own password.
Enter the command "passwd". Enter Current password, then the new password two times.
21. To run MATLAB, type "matlab". Matlab will open.
1. WinScp is used for transferring files from your local computer to HPC server. You have to use this software as you may need to transfer your matlab programs, datasets to HPC server for execution of the program.
2. Open WinScp. Click on NEW.
3. Enter the HPC server IP Address (CPU / GPU), Enter your user name and password. Click on Save.
4. After than click on Login to File Transfer Mode.
5. Now you can transfer your file from Local Computer (Left Side) to Server (Right). Just drag and drop.
Enjoy Your Parallel Programming Using HPC !!